Thursday, March 08, 2007

Tea for two hundred

I have a reputation for feeding people at the office. No Tupperwares of cookies and cakes here.

I am responsible for feeding the masses. Not like Jesus, no.
I am fortunate to have the services of caterers. And I have them on speed dial.

I organise events and one idiosyncrasy of the Malaysian office worker is the dire need of food before/during/after any event of any importance. Be it sweet sour fish to karipap kentang, munchies are as much part of the agenda as the agenda itself.
And let us not forget the tea and coffee, and with condensed milk, excuse me.

Caterers are a species of their own, certainly. I have one darling caterer that is so casual that all I do is to give him a call and it is all done! Food for 200 without signing a piece of paper. Of course I get ulcers during the hours running up to the event, wondering if the bugger will show up at all.

Then I have the ones that are so bloody anal that I need to sign like a ream of paper before they would even agree to accept my booking. Don’t you hate people in the service industry who act as if they are doing you one big favour? Sheesh. I am dealing with one dingbat who would not even give me papadums for free. His reason? That they MAY go soft and ruin HIS reputation. Never again!!

No comments: