Sunday, September 16, 2007

Freedom Film Festival 2007

Over the weekend, I just managed to catch the Freedom Film Festival held at the Central Market Annex. Activism is alive and well and surprisingly, unbanned.
For now.

It gladdens my heart that our young people are still at it, pushing the proverbial envelope. Me and Sean were conspicuously quiet, fully aware of our affiliation with the Establishment. I bet they kill lawyers too.

In any case, it was courageous film making, honest and sometimes humorous, non-mainstream offerings that may not go down too well with the powers that be. I mean extra-judicial killings and governments demolishing places of worship, they are not really popcorn fare.

And after watching the clip on a Singaporean protest, I think that nation has the most "baik" policemen. Compared to the "pelt with tear gas"- then-"bawak balik balai"-dengan "free black eye sebab 'terhantuk" modus operandi of our everyday heroes.

I wish i could have attended the night screenings but not having a car or a chaperone sucks. I was looking forward to watching the films on transgender issues but the screening was at night la. Damn. Anyway - thanks Sean for the heads up and sirap limau and thanks Bwada for the transport.

No comments: