Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Just shoot me

I had the misfortune of sitting close to two middle-aged ladies in the train this afternoon. I, and the rest of the passengers of the carriage, could not help but overhear their gossip. It was regrettable that they could not find it in their hearts to not holler at the top of their voices.

It is one thing to hear good-hearted forgettable clothesline gossip but this left such a bitter taste in the mouth that I left the train quite ill. It was so malicious, beastly and spiteful they were practically spitting the words out. Call me naive but I would like to ban older people from cursing. I would like to think that as we mature, we grow more civilised. Oh boy, was I wrong.

To publicly denounce Tiger Woods for dating a floozie (her words, not mine!), to blame another sportsman's poor performance on his wretched ex wife, as well as denounce liberal sex of those sickening Westerners, all in one long solid breath is a bit of an overdose for me. To hear it all and lots lots more with the healthy sprinkling of expletives, in perfect Queens English does not cushion the shock one bit. It was the unadulterated spite that got to me honestly.

Come dinner time, I was denied peace again as a family of four decided to invade the table next to mine at my local eatery. This time it was the tween. The thought had crossed my mind to reach across and give her a good slap in between her dramatic rolling of eyes and "this is a free country, you know"s. If I ever was this annoying while growing up, I wonder where my parents found the the self restraint to not shoot me.

I must remember though to tell my brother that as I grow ungracefully older, if I morph into being as nasty as the terrible train ladies, to get the rifle out before I scar innocent people.

No comments: