Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Ele-fun fun fun

How to possibly be serious when one meets a red elephant with dinner plate eyes that seem to return your stare with equal amusement?

It was a thrilling afternoon. Not only had I the pleasure of visiting Yusof Gajah’s gallery but to be driven to his studio by none other than his wife to meet the artist extraordinare in person – surreal!

I was apprehensive of meeting Mr Gajah for the first time. Eccentrics artists are a dime a dozen. A reflection of creative genius I think. Looking very much the part, he is a quiet, serious man but with sharp dry wit. With a long beard and curly silver hair he reminds me of A.Samad Said. Only with more frizz.
He is completing a new collection entitled : the other side of the elephant. I have already spotted my favourite.

Well, I got to meet another creative heavyweight (pun unintentionally, I swear), Mr Harris Ribut. I think he would not think much of me by this comparison but he is the Bolero of the East. Actually I am wrong to say that. His style if different even though they share the same fascination for voluptuous curves particularly on women.
And to think after having lunch with the Gajahs, they actually drove us to the Artist Colony to meet Mr Harris. Gosh, it’s great to represent a corporate sponsor!

No comments: