Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Just breathe

Clarity.

Like pure water. Like vivid sand dunes. Like the heart-stopping blue of a cloudless sky.
Achievable only in the human sense with detachment as a prerequisite. Only when one is out of the picture does one actually see the picture and marvel at its magnificence.. or its utter absurdity.

I think we all have those bursts of moments when everything seems so perfectly clear. Yet it possess a momentum so weak that it is usually dissipates in a wink. Living in a society, we are too comfortable reacting. Like zombies, we do the same things everyday, succumb to the pressures of everyday, to abide by conventions because obedience is an easier path than to question.

We shrug our little shoulders and throw our arms in the air and declare “nothing I can do about it”, then proceed to blame someone else.

Little do I think of what my purpose is in the universe anymore. What ripples I create when I hurl rocks into my everyday relationships. What I do to my body, what I feed my mind, what I dispel with repugnance, what I embrace with love, I am just so busy reacting reacting reacting to even think anymore. Its autopilot turned on, off we go! Is it as good for you as it is for me?

It is an underrated virtue this clarity. I used to mock an acquaintance for wanting to be a philosopher. I think he has a better grasp of whats going on that I will ever have. A confused Japanese product of the jpop phenomenon, he is a soft-spoken enigma of his own. We hardly spoke the whole year since the day I welcomed him as a junior to my college. Yet it was he who, on my birthday, wrote me an existential essay and pinned in on my door. And he came just to carry my bags the day I left. Did we resonate in some way I hadn’t noticed?

No comments: