Sunday, July 03, 2005

Sundae reveries

It has been a week of a lot of ice cream. And it did little to improve my mood when the hot fudge sundae from Gelare is the worst I have ever had. I had to practically spoon out the deluge of cheap cream to get to the ice cream proper. The overpriced glop.

Why the OD on cold treats you ask? Tis because my dear, I am going through a late twenties crisis. Oh wipe that "Oh no here we go again" look off your face. And STOP rolling your eyes. I warn you.

I have a sickening feeling that this is only Scene I of a much bigger production that is starting to unfold, steadily gaining momentum building up into a climax that will ultimately be the Tragedy of Turning 30.

Yes,I worry about the future. A lot. Which is why when I was having breakfast with two friends of mine, both well into their thirties and doing extremely well, (with one commanding a monthly income just shy of what a Kancil costs) the enormity of how miserable I was doing hit me like the a speeding Mercedes. Sure they had a head start in their career but the most defining aspect of their characters is that they have not stopped pushing boundries yet while I have set up my barricades a few years ago.

Limiting yourself is a very destructive thing to do. But it is such an easy habit. I guess my being a recluse is making things worse.

In anycase I am summoning up the will to practise law again. I hate doing PR and right now, oh I hate my job. But surely hating my job is not a good reason to take up the profession again. But then Belum Cuba Belum Tahu right?

This brings back painful memories of my interview with Skrine. Oh the shame. When I was exposed for being a hopeless charlatan when it comes to being a serious student of law, my dignity crumbled. It was very telling and the senior partner was very kind with his put down, yet the shame branded into my pride will remind me of how unprepared I am to enter the world of sharks and be respected like family.

If you have caught The Hitchhiker's Guide playing like mad everywhere now, you will get the picture when I when I say that the only character I could relate to was Marvin. I have a good idea of how I annoy people now.

No comments: