Sunday, October 19, 2008

Meow

A cat found itself up on the 15th floor where I live. Crying the block down, I assumed somebody brought home a new pet. But when it started to get dark and again I heard its loud complaints, I thought I better go investigate and as I walked onto the landing, lo behold, there was this Siamese cat. Kitteh must have been there the whole afternoon, with no one bothering to help her.  

Greeting me like an old friend as oppose to a scratching post (which is how most feline villains regard me), she wrapped her body around my feet  with a look that kinda went “So THERE you are”.  

A dog person like me seldom have cats friends. And after several encounters that confirmed that I have no cat chemistry, this furry knot around my slippers was a shock to the system.  Got the brother to lift her into a cage that’s been, um, recently vacant.  No good would come from letting her roam all about.

A dog person himself, he held the cat just like how a dog person would. Arms outstretched and as far from the face as possible. She nevertheless was placid, allowed us to pick her up and once in the cage, lapped up the water we offered her. 

She was certainly well looked after judging by her sleek fur, uber manja-ness and the bell around her neck. This cat was certainly not a leftovers gourmand. Not knowing what to feed the poor kitty, frantic calls were made to the few cat whisperers I knew. Thank goodness Jo was good enough to guide me through breathing and deciding what to do next.

After writing a half dozen CAT FOUND notices, as we descended to buy cat food and to stick the notices, we discovered that we forgot the tape. When we got back to the penthouse level again, lo behold (again) there was the cat owner peering into our apartment.

Relieved that we found the cat’s mommy and annoyed with her for being so reckless with her pet, questions were raised as to how she could let her cat go missing for an entire afternoon.  Apparently she just came back from work to discover her pet did a Houdini from the 6th floor.   After a quick reconciliation and thanks uttered, the cat was back where it belonged. She went with the woman quite obediently and we have not heard concrete reverberating meows since, so I guess the matter was sorted and we got the right person.

 

Funny thing is, I kinda miss the cat. And I hate to admit this but, I am a little disappointed that the owner showed up. I know, rabbits and cats don’t mix but responsive affection is addictive.  Either I am so starved of affection or that kitty just did some cat voodoo on me. 

No comments: