Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Frank McCourt

I'd like to pay tribute to literary celebrity, Frank McCourt, who died of meningitis at the age of 78.

I first got to know of this man through the valiant efforts of ex-coursemate and dorm mate Adeline, who told me under no uncertain terms, that I must read this funny novel. The book was of course, Angela's Ashes.

Very few writers can successfully weave humour into a heartbreaking biography. It can make you laugh and cry. Both would leave tears in your eyes. The book speaks of the writer's experience growing up in poverty on the streets of Limerick.

I certainly remember how many a resident and relative went to town, defending their town, when the novel and author achieved fame.

Angela's Ashes won McCourt the Pulitzer. Its a book that you will not easily forget.
The literary world has indeed lost another shinning star.

No comments: