Friday, August 19, 2005

Graduation

I have not left my blog for dead yet.
It is not to say that my little universe hasn't been sprialling out of control(again).

For one, my brother has graduated. As his graduation was in Malacca, the family enjoyed a nice long break there. We hardly had a war of words at all, which suprised me to no end. Perhaps it helped that it was my dad who drove and I was the map-brandishing navigator. Any other combination with my brother thrown in would have resulted in somebody walking back to KL.

Food was great. There is this quaint Perakanan restaurant by the name of Nancy's Kitchen which serves lovely food and nyonya kuih. There is this awesome dish that has a layer of pulut tai tai at the bottom and a top consisting of the green pandan jelly of kuih talam, minus the santan. Nice. Must try their mutton and pork curry puffs the next tme I get myself there.

My only regret is not being able to have my roti john in Klebang. It is just a super oily toasted sardine sandwich but I assure you it's food of the gods. I was at Klebang with a group of friends about a year ago and it was there that I got the name of this blog. Just because I had whacked full servings of chicken rice, bread, satay celup, chendol, muah chee, putu piring and still has room to polish off the roti john is no reason to call me monster.
Okay, maybe it is.

My brother was required to be at the Hall by 7.30 am. We were by 6.30. But we weren't the only kiasu people around as there were people there even before us. Made us feel better that.

So while my parents were given the honour to sit in an air-conditioned hall I was stationed under a pink tent in the lawn accompanied by TV screens with live feeds. What made it bad were these people who were sitting next to me who regarded the graduation as a family picnic. In their supermarket plastic bags, they brought a giant tupperware of cake, a big tin of jacob's cream crackers, pickled mango and bottles of water. And worse, they refused to shut up. Criticising every thing from other graduates and their course, to the chancelor, to the how it was different when THEY were graduating, man, this family of newts had to run everything down.
Sometimes education is wasted on the world's biggest idiots.

Anyway, the ceremony went by smoothly and we left feeling very satisfied.
Oh, never stay at Naza Hotel. The service is dismal, the rooms were musty, furnishings were unsightly, the buffet breakfast was sad as here was hardly anything good to eat and most of the time you had to keep running to the staff to tell them that the makan sudah habis. In short, don't go there.

No comments: