Monday, August 22, 2005

Like sands through the hourglass

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.

I met up with a long time friend today. I have not seen her in 5 long years. She is the same bubbly young lady I knew from way back when. Aw man, saying that has just condemned me to acknowledging that I am indeed, old.

Shuck, I am turning 30 soon and I am as ready for that as a trip to a trainee neurosurgeon. Was it really 5 years ago that I was making eyes at my EU tutor and rolling the same ones during Feldman's lectures. I recall a mate doodling a criss-crossed pancake on my notes. Waffling, it was. Seriously, this lecturer can make a rock get up and scream from sheer boredom.

I was a geek extraordinare then. Chunky shoes, second hand jumpers, cold packed toast and quick lunches at the law faculty foyer as we were too poor to have lunch at the cafeteria. I sure have stories of suffering to bestow to my kids/grandkids/pets. Of course it would not serve any purpose in mentioning the plays at the Royal Shakespere Theather and trips to Europe.

With my rose-tinted glasses on, I raise my teacup and say a cheery 'hurrah' to life in Britain. My memories there have mostly been pleasant ones. And meeting Adeline again brought back bright warm memories of hot air baloons and pancake parties and trips around Hull in a Granny-mobile.

No comments: