Thursday, January 12, 2006

Chinese New Year

This year, somehow there isn't much New Year spirit going on. Its just feels like another approaching public holiday.


At my old work place, my colleagues and I would be hanging lanterns and stringing plastic plum blossoms all over our department.

This year - zilch.

But it is a pervading lack of enthusiasm all over the city. The stores don't try to our do each other by blaring their different Chinese New Year music at maximum volume, no mandarin orange vendors spilling their wares onto the street, no bright red decorations draping the malls and homes.. in all it is very subdued.

I have tried to inject the spirit by buying two large plastic pineapples, now hanging at my victim's room to his absolute chagrin but he dare not remove them on penalty of my throwing a fit.

How odd. If anything I think the world needs more cheering up. In any case I am having my first lo sang ( I hope) this weekend. Lo sang is a Chinese tradition (Cantonese I think) which involves as many people as possible stirring a big dish of condiments together as a gesture of goodwill and prosperity. Then in true Chinese tradition, we eat it.

No comments: