Sunday, March 12, 2006

Calling short

Only 6 blasted months to go. I guess you already know, I hate this. So that there be no confusion, let me make it clear that I don't merely hate it, I despise it with everything my now choked up liver can muster.

Let's just say it is not my thing, this chambering. My dad wants me to at least go through with it and he is PAYING me to soldier on. But it STINGSS..

I got my short call last Tuesday. A short call involved me turning up in the High Court where my Master addressed the court to seek it's permission that I, her student be given restricted audience to appear before the Judges, Magistrates and Registrars in chambers ( a fancy name that basically means office.) What that really means is that I finally am forced to do some leg work.

And that was precisely why I was sent to Shah Alam the next day and Seremban the following Thursday- to appear before the Assistant Registrar on two bankruptcy matters which I knew absolutely nothing about. Charming.

The first one went swimmingly. I said what I needed to say (after memorizing it to death) and was out of there in 5 minutes. That gave me false confidence that the next one would be a breeze.

After all in that case, it was the court's mistake that they returned us the wrong document. I was just supposed to saunter into the AR's room, explain the delay due to the wrong document and get a new date. What I got instead was a severe tongue lashing as to why I did not call the court and get the right document instead of turning up in her office to give excuses.

I was like, Lady, it is really not my fault that the lawyer responsible did not check it earlier and I am only the sacrificial lamb here. But I had suck it up and take in all her wrath.
Oh the injustice!
The irony.

So hard lesson learnt, never take clerks/other lawyer's/anyone's word when work is passed to you. My good friend also learnt it the hard way when conducting a case she inherited from her boss. Her office file clearly said that the relevent documents were filed in court and what da ya know, on the day of the trial, during the examination of a witness, the Judge rebuked her as the documents she relied on weren't in the court file. Shock shock horror horror.

If I was in her place, I think I would have shrivelled up into a raisin and just die. But that brilliant girl went ahead. She lost the case but, she did not lose her head. Way to go, girl.

No comments: