Sunday, August 03, 2008

Easy Like Sunday Morning

Sundays are way to short if you ask me. Like it goes on warp speed and before you know it, its 10pm and the dread of the coming week comfortably settles in the gut. Yes, its bloody sickening.

For once, I didn't do any office work this weekend. Shock shock horror horror.
Oh I could not be asked. The threshold has been breached and frankly my dear, I just don't give a damn.

Instead, I went to Amcorp Mall. Damn, I forgot to take photos. I actually need a phone with a better camera. (To the sesiapa yang sudi: HINT!! Hm, I wonder if it echoes in cyberspace)

Anyway I didn't realise what an Alladin's cave Amcorp can be on Sundays. If you go by the proverb of one man's trash is another man's treasure that is. With stalls that go all the way up to the 3rd floor, its like a carboot sale. Indoors.

From old prints to old boots, butter boats to brass pending, its kinda fascinating to go round the tiny stalls to check out the stuff. Old men with old stamps sit alongside long haired dudes selling "why so serious" batman tees.

Sure you get to see tonnes of junk. But its junk with character!

I mean while I don't have an issue with Vincci and Ikea and Giordano whose mass produced stocks make us look like carbon copies of each other, but somehow just finding an art deco teapot just filled me with a strange sense of wonder.

I suspect its because it is more common to equate modernity with simplify in form now, so something as indulgent as design for design's sake is so startling and vivid. Its WONDERFUL.

But do I want a rusty Singer sewing machine in my living room? Maybe not. But it did remind me of a time when there was still some innocence in me and I was closer to the ground in height.

No comments: