Sunday, September 04, 2005

Bane of the Creatives

Here is an example of my typical day, which is also shared by my corporate graphics team. We all service internal clients, but my wrath is mostly directed to the promo manager.

1. Promo Manager has hare-brained idea.
2. Conveys strict instructions, in cold-no negotiations-bullet points, on how to deliver message.
3. I am given 8 hours to come up with titillating copy that would shame Neil French
4. I email copy to my boss who tunes it down to fit corporate identity
5. Promo Manager stomps to my table and tell me how my copy needs a rewrite
6. I beg another advance from the Devil to whom I sold my soul to when I joined the company.
7. Rewritten copy is delivered to Promo manager
8. Promo manager forwards copy to Big Honcho Creative Director for vetting
9. Big Honcho Creative Director rewrites the copy completely as original brief completely missed the point.
10. Promo Manager ecstatic, Creative Director thinks I am an imbecile and I lost more years of my life than I care count.

No comments: