Sunday, July 15, 2007

Chocolate frogs and Butterbeer

We went to watch Harry Potter today. Daniel Radcliff still looks like a kid thank god, and the Weasley twins are looking more dashing and the effects are as usual - magical. Nevertheless quite a few things have been left out and it does not convey depth nor continuation which, especially for a fan of the series, is unforgivable.

Characters were treated rather cursorily and the death of Sirius, pardon the pun, was not serious at all. In all I would give the movie a C+. Get the book. Perhaps it is unfair to expect a 2 and a half hour film to do the work of a 900 page book but then, the last film fared much better.

Nevertheless the movie's timing is just perfect to launch the last book of the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I would definitely need to have a quick read through The Half-Blood Prince as I have forgotten just so many things from it. I want to remember the loose ends that Rowling has promised to tie up with the upcoming book.

While my itchy fingers are dying to get the book, I know that my RM99 can be better spent elsewhere. Do I wait for the book to be up for rent or do I succumb to desire - you will be the first to know. I don't know if I am ready to be done with HP's wizardly world. Anyone bound for Hogsmeade?

No comments: